Surgical Services Provided at Claiborne
Claiborne Medical Center provides a variety of surgical services, with one full-time general surgeon on staff. In addition, we have specialists who serve in several areas on a part-time basis.
- Three surgical suites similarly equipped with:
- integrated high-definition cameras and monitors for the best view of the surgical site
- LED (green-energy efficient) lighting; and
- built-in towers to house necessary laparoscopic equipment.
- Six private Ambulatory Staging Units (ASU). Patients remain in their room with their family for all pre-op processes and interviews. When ready for surgery, they proceed directly to their procedure from that room.
A general surgeon has expertise in the diagnosis and care of patients with diseases and disorders affecting the abdomen, digestive tract, endocrine system, breast, skin and blood vessels. General surgeons are trained in the care of pediatric and cancer patients and patients who are injured or critically ill. Common problems treated by general surgeons include hernias, breast tumors, gallstones, appendicitis, pancreatitis, bowel obstructions, and colon cancer.
Other surgical specialties offered at Claiborne:
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine whereby the digestive system and its disorders are studied. Diseases affecting the gastrointestinal tract, which includes the organs from mouth to anus, are the focus of this specialty. Physicians practicing in this field of medicine are commonly referred to as “GI” doctors.
Obstetricians and Gynecologists, commonly referred to as OB/GYNs, focus on women’s health needs before, during and after pregnancy. They also provide medical and surgical treatment of the female reproductive and urinary systems.
Podiatry is the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases of the human foot. In addition to providing surgical services at Claiborne, the podiatrist also refers patients for post-surgical treatment or rehabilitation.
Urologists diagnose and treat diseases of the urinary tract and urogenital system. Our urologist utilizes our surgical services for correction of some conditions, as well as treatment of kidney stones.